Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Best Is Yet To Come?




WE DIDN'T HAVE A CLUE!
"Grow old with me . . . the best is yet to come."

Tomorrow I celebrate 37 years of marriage to the boy who turned my life upside down in the most wonderful way. He borrowed my binoculars at a Doobie Brother's concert and two weeks later when he cleaned off the top of his chest-of-drawers, he found a telephone number scribbled on the back of the ticket. He braved the call, vaguely remembering the concert (the bottle of Black Velvet he and his roommate shared prior to the concert may have played a part) and confessed later, he couldn't remember what I looked like until he showed up at my front door. When I walked out to his truck, he said it all came back to him. "I remember you had a great ass!" Yep. Out of all the guys I dated who wooed me with roses and even written romantic prose, I picked him! Why? He made me laugh. Our life together has been every bit as unconventional and unpredictable as our chance meeting.



We thought we knew what the hell we were doing...both had great jobs, I just bought a new Camaro, he had an awesome 4-wheel drive truck, we moved into a fantastic apartment (had a gas fireplace!) and we were in lust. Not love. We believed we were, said the words and took the vows, but looking back, we were kids. We had no clue what constituted "true love," but we soon found out.  Yes, we had a couple of great years where our priorities centered solely on each other, but then our daughter was born, followed by the tag team, a miscarriage, and the oops child. It would be at least 25 years later, after a lot of tears, slammed doors, heated words, nights on the sofa, and even the threat of giving up by both of us at different times, before we realized we were truly soul mates. Until you've weathered the heartache of life changes that comes from raising children, economic issues, and health problems together, (and I consider watching the my svelte curves melt into a pear-shaped puddle a major health issue) and yet can still see the sparkle in your beloved's eyes -- set behind thick glasses -- do you really gain the understanding of "love."
GRAMPS HAS THE MAGIC TOUCH
Did I picture this in my head when I stared into hazel eyes as I swore my undying love before a room full of friends of family? Yes, as a matter of fact I did. I knew his teasing smile, the way it made his eyes crinkle, would look the same a hundred years later, and the gentle arms that cradled me when I cried after burning our first dinner, would still be my most favorite place on earth many decades later.

November 21, 1975 - I married my best friend. 
Thirty-seven years later . . . I'm still falling in love.

As we start the celebrations for the "season of thanks," hold tight to those things that bring joy in you life.


7 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

What a great story! Congratulations, and many more happy years!

Kerrigan Byrne said...

I got a little teary eyed... no one does that to me!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your marriage. You are truly blessed and how nice that you realize it. Here's me raising a glass and wishing you another quarter century of happiness.

Sandy L. Rowland said...

That's what I'm talking about. true love takes effort because lust is a searing heat, but love is a slow burn that comes to life when stirred and warms us when we need it most.
Happy anniversary!
Love the post.

Annie said...

Wow Joelene, you made me cry. Great post.

stanalei said...

Congrats on still being in love and I'll bet a bit of lust, too, after 37 years. You are among the luck ones.
Happy Anniversary!

Mageela Troche said...

Wonderful! Love is grand. Good thing you're Doobie Brother fan.