Monday, December 13, 2010

Merry Christmas Baby

Current Listen:  Breath of Heaven, courtesy of Amy Grant


Tonight as I sat by the fire, basking in the glow of my Christmas Tree, a thread of thought passed through my mind. What would Marli and Jordan's first Christmas have been like? I never wrote a scene involving Christmas because my book ends with the Thanksgiving holiday. So I asked Marli to tell me about their Christmas. She told me she convinced Jordan to come to Ohio and spend the holiday with her and her father. It was only fair. She'd spent Thanksgiving with his family. With that said, here is how Marli's first Christmas with Jordan began....


My alarm went off, but I was already awake. Dawn was barely pinking the sky, giving the icicles dropping from my roof an iridescent glimmer. It had snowed yesterday and this morning, tiny crystal droplets clung to the branches. It was a scene worthy of a Christmas morning.


 I bundled inside my terry robe, tiptoed past Rick’s bedroom door and scurried down the stairs to my Christmas present, asleep in Daniel’s old room. Jordan.

The bedroom was dark, being buried from the sun and tucked beneath a snow laden bush. I stood by the bed, listening to the deep raspy breaths matching the bare chest rising and falling above the edge of the quilt. His lashes fanned across his cheeks and wavy strands of caramel colored hair edged his head in the crinkles of the pillow. The hand raised above his head twitched a couple of times and his full lips opened and closed with a deep breath.

 “It’s really creepy having you stare at me while I sleep,” Jordan softly spoke without so much as an eyelash fluttering.

My hand slapped my heart back to beating from being stopped with fright. I swallowed hard, pretending to be unfazed. “How long have you been watching me?”

“I heard the pitter patter of your little feet on the stairs.” He lifted the quilt. “Climb in here my Christmas Elf. I’ve got a present for you,” he beckoned in a seductive lilt.

“I’m not sure I’m ready for that present,” I halfway lied.

Jordan’s eyebrow cocked and a corner of his mouth pulled into a sexy, lopsided grin. I shrugged out of my robe and slipped between the warm sheets into his embrace. My ear on his chest counted heartbeats racing to catch my own.

 “I’ll bet I could persuade you. Maybe even give you a candy cane, too?” he teased.

Jordan’s hello kiss told my willpower “goodbye.” By the time I was able to come up for air, I was already molded to his every curve.

“When you kiss me like that, you don’t need to even speak. Your wish is my command.”

“Too bad I’m such a gentleman. I’m also fond of certain body parts and have a strong desire to see my next birthday, so you need to get my favorite little tush back upstairs before Rick finds you.”


I giggled against his lips. “Yeah, I’d hate to see anything happen to my favorite body.”


Another heady kiss ended too quickly, but just in the nick of time.


“I better go,” I whispered. Reluctantly, I moved from beneath my hunky boyfriend’s body, but before I could exit my warm place, Jordan caught my shoulders.

“Wait. I told you I had a present for you. Close your eyes.”


“Hmm, the last time you told me to close my eyes, my life changed.”


"I promise nothing dramatic.”


Jordan pushed my hair to the side and a cold weight pressed below the hollow in my throat. “Okay, you can open them.”

My eyes dropped to what my fingers were holding. A teardrop sapphire surrounded by what I was certain were diamonds, was suspended from a gleaming silver chain. “Jordan?”

“Merry Christmas, baby.”

“It’s beautiful. Thank you.” No longer caring what my father might think, I wrapped myself around Jordan and pushed him back into the pillows. “I love you, Jordan Mason.”

“I love you more,” he whispered over my mouth. “Now go. I’ll get dressed and come help with breakfast.”

One my way to the door, I tossed a pair of reindeer covered flannel pajamas, tied with a red ribbon at Jordan. “Sorry, but there’s no ‘getting dressed’. Davis house rules. Pajamas all day on Christmas.”


“You’re joking, right? Reindeer?”

I paused in the doorway and smiled, “I thought the ‘horns’ were appropriate.”


Well, I hope you enjoyed the holiday glimpse. Too bad blogs are short. Blueberry pancakes were on the breakfast menu as well as a fiesty snowball fight later, still in pajamas. Hmm, wonder how they warmed up? I've got a pretty good idea. With that steamy little thought to dream about, I'm off to bed. Hope your holidays are shaping up and you're further along in your shopping than I am!
 
Later fans. Thanks for stopping by. Joelene
 
Tonight's thought: Don't get caught up in all the hustle and bustle that you forget the "reason for the season." Give from your heart this Christmas.

1 comment:

Calisa Rhose said...

What a delicious treat Joelene! Thank you.